This reminds me of having Vietnamese Pho. I really liked the Pho I had in Seattle and Dallas, but it’s generally not vegetarian (the broth is the issue), so my wife won’t eat it.
Submitted By: Jilly
Submitted From: Eastern Tennessee, USA
- 1 package Shrimp or Lime-Shrimp Flavor ramen
- a handful Small frozen shrimp (pre-cooked)
- 1/4 fresh lime
- cilantro, fresh (finely chopped) or dried
- 1-2 sprigs fresh basil
- green onions
- bean sprouts (optional)
- hot sauce (Sri Ra Cha) or red pepper flakes (optional)
- Other optional additions: chopped spinach or napa cabbage; frozen peas
Cook ramen according to directions, using 1/2 cup more water than called for on the directions. While noodles are cooking, defrost any frozen ingredients (shrimp, peas, or greens) under running warm water. Place thawed ingredients in the bottom of a bowl along with white part of green onions and basil sprigs. When noodles are cooked, add seasoning packet and cilantro to taste. Stir well, correct seasoning, and pour over ingredients in bowl. Squeeze lime into soup; you may drop squeezed lime into bowl for additional flavor if you like. Add hot sauce or pepper flakes to taste, and fresh bean sprouts if you like (don’t use canned, they are nasty in this!). Serves 1-2, depending on how hungry you are.